The Upper Barrakka
The Upper Barrakka Gardens (Il-Barrakka ta’ Fuq) are a public garden in Valletta, Malta. It is twinned with the Lower Barrakka Gardens in the same city, and offers a panoramic view of the Grand Harbour.
One of Valletta’s most beautiful parks, it was created in 1775 on the bastion of St. Peter and Paul. In the park there are several statues, including one from Sir Winston Churchill, and a sculpture by the Maltese sculptor Antonio Sciortino, entitled Les Gavroches (The street boys). The garden was the gift of an eighteenth-century Italian knight. It was originally intended to offer recreation to the knights of the Italian langue, or department, of the Order of Saint John.
It is the highest point of the city walls, and thus its bordering terrace offers a clear view over the Grand Harbour and the old towns of Senglea and Vittoriosa, as well as over the shipyard and the lower-lying parts the capital.